Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday Fav...

When I was a little girl,
 my Grandma Faye
 introduced me to one of my favorite treats!
My Grandma worked in the Cameo Room at ZCMI.
She was a lover of fine clothing...
So, when my Mom went off to college
 she started working in the Cameo Room.
I can still smell the distinct smell
of the fur coats that hung chained to the rack.
There were two beautiful desks with exquisite red velvet chairs
that my Grandma and another employee named Renee
graced.
My Mom would take us to see her.
Visiting her was one of my favorite things to do!
Her beautifully manicured hands lathered in the finest lotion
 would hand us a dollar bill, or 50 cents
and we would go to the candy store in ZCMI 
 My Sister and I would boldly order "fifty cents worth of orange sticks please!"
The employee would pour Orange sticks into a measuring scale and add more or take some out.
We would leave with  a white medium sized bag half full of orange sticks!
In my college years, I too worked at ZCMI
Just in a different department.
You better believe I ordered a dollar worth of orange sticks on my break.
 
My Mom has a great Christmas Eve tradition.
Christmas Eve is bigger than Christmas day at her house.
She always has a beautiful fire in her fire place!  
Ham and turkey, orange rolls, curry, and of course 
ORANGE STICKS!

I took a box from her stash of them to eat on the trip home from Salt Lake
This morning, when I was getting the kids breakfast,
 I saw Talmage (our seven year old) grab a couple orange sticks out of the corner of my eye.
I giggled at how the tradition continues.
He commented
"If I could marry food, I would marry orange sticks!"
 
~When I lived in Henderson, I gave some friends a box of Orange Sticks for Christmas, most had never even heard of them.
So, ya gotta get a box,  kick your feet up and watch a movie!

 

 

1 comment:

  1. My Dad loves orange sticks and when we needed a sweet treat we could nose around his drawer and pull a few out of his box. Love the memories of your Grandma!

    ReplyDelete