Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Love Story of Sorts....



The sweet little bird house that you see at the top, is a bird house that my Jared made for me.  This bird house is not just any old bird house.  The summer before Jared started medical school, he went to his Dad's house to "work on something".  I had mentioned to him one Sunday when we were in his parent's back yard how much I loved the bird houses that his Dad had made.  Jared decided to make me one.  We had just moved to Las Vegas, and we were back in Salt Lake awaiting the arrival of our baby Jonah.
Many years ago, Jared and I dated for a little over a year before he left on his mission.  I adored him!  Before he left we would swing in his parent's back yard on an old bench swing all the time.  Talking, laughing and eating homemade cookies that his Mom had made.  I have such fond memories of that time. Through the years and the snowy winters, Jared's parents had to take the swing down because it was old and too dangerous to have anyone swing on it any more. Many times since, I have wished myself  right back to that swing, where such happy times and memories where made.  The sweet little bird house is made out of the wood from "our" swing!  Isn't that awesome.
The picture of Jared and me is from years ago too.  It is our engagement picture.  I have been doing a lot of reflecting as we pack and move our lives to another place.  I have really been  struggling to let go...  then today when I saw my hard working Husband try on his graduation cap and gown,  I couldn't help but be overcome with excitement and respect for our next phase.  So perhaps life is like this bird house.  We can cherish the time and memories we have made.  For sometimes, it would be too dangerous to leave things as they are.  The friendships that I have made can come with me for a life time.  Perhaps not as the "swing" but as the "bird house".  Maybe not right in the same town but in my heart and on my cell phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment