Friday, September 9, 2011

The Gas Company







Yesterday morning as I ran out the door into the garage to take the boys to school I smelled natural gas!  We were in a hurry to get to school. Have I mentioned how early elementary school starts here? It starts at 7:35.  That means we head out the door at 7:05.  So, in true Fairbanks style we rushed to the car and drove away. When I came home to put up the garage door, I again was punched with the STRONG smell of natural gas!   So I called the Gas company to report I had a gas leak in my garage.  The kind girl said that there would be a technician at my house within the hour.  Whew!   I opened up all the windows in the house and left the garage door open. Within a half hour there were two technicians at my door armed with gas detectors in hand!  They quickly went to the garage and checked the water heater.  One of the techs was waving his wand through out the garage.  He said he too could smell the gas but that his wand was not detecting any gas.  They checked the meter and put a device down into the ground-extensively checking all possibilities.  After about a half an hour they happily reported that there was absolutely no gas leaking at my house. They told me that they too would mistake what ever the smell was for natural gas.  Hmmm.  I took Jonah to preschool, all the while wondering what could be creating that smell.  On my return without even trying to look, I glanced into a box to discover the culprit!  The night before I had taken a loaf of bread to the garage freezer.  I took a couple of things out to put the bread in without getting smashed.  I left this big bag of ...BROCCOLI out.  Broccoli was what was making that smell! Sheepishly I quickly discarded the terrible smelling bag.  Hoping nobody saw me.  After a day and a night,  I am giggling about the whole ordeal.  I am SURE that the gas company would not be.  Broccoli any one? 


No comments:

Post a Comment